Switching things up for this post and ‘spilling the tea’ with this new twist on a classic cocktail. This Earl Grey Old-Fashioned is simple, tasty, and perfect to enjoy as a Fall-time night cap.
Around since the 1800s, The Old Fashioned is a timeless and simple whiskey drink that’s true to its name. The cocktail is constructed by combining whiskey, sugar, and aromatic bitters. The mixture is stirred with ice, strained, and topped with an aromatic orange peel to create a minimalist drink intended to enhance the flavor of your favorite whiskey.
So….how did we get the Earl Grey in this Earl Grey Old Fashioned?
The magic is in the sugar. For this, we essentially made an Earl Grey simple syrup which is an easy combo of tea, sugar, and water.
This syrup can be used in any drink as a simple syrup substitute or dessert topping. The possibilities are endless. (we tried it warmed up on ice cream – not exactly a win...but let your imagination run wild).
· 1¼ cup water
· 2 Earl Grey tea bags
· 2 cups sugar
· 2 oz Bourbon or Rye Whiskey (for this we used Bulleit Bourbon)
· 1/3 oz Earl Grey Syrup
· 2-3 dashes of Angostura aromatic bitters
Earl Grey Simple Syrup Recipe
1. Heat up the water just as you would to make tea (microwave, tea kettle, stove) . Steep 2 bags of Earl Grey tea for as long as possible or until the water starts to cool down (you want this to be pretty strong so the flavor comes through) .
2. Remove teabags and heat tea on the stove in a saucepan with 2 cups of sugar added.
3. Heat and stir until all sugar is combined. This does not need to boil as long as all the sugar is dissolved.
4. Once dissolved, transfer to a container and set to cool fully before mixing in drinks.
Old Fashioned Recipe
1. In a glass full of ice combine your bourbon, Earl Grey syrup, and 2-3 dashes of bitters
2. Stir for about 20 seconds.
3. Strain into a short glass with a couple of fresh ice cubes. Twist an orange peel on top to release oils, rub it around the rim of the glass, and throw it in.
If you like Earl Grey tea you can't go wrong with this cocktail. Once you get the syrup made its fancy, tasty, and super easy. Can't wait for you all to give this one a try. From us, its a...